At the head of Meadowlark Family Healthcare is Pat Conkling Certified Nurse Practitioner (CNP).
What is a Nurse Practitioner?
A Nurse Practitioner is a registered nurse who has advanced education and clinical training in a healthcare specialty.
Nurse Practitioners are licensed under the rules and regulations of the Nurse Practice Act for the state in which they work. Most Nurse Practitioners are also nationally certified in a specialty area. They are also recognized as expert health care providers.
Nurse Practitioners can function as Primary Health Care Providers in New Mexico and other states.
Nurse Practitioners work in all 50 States. Research studies have shown that Nurse Practitioners provide:
- High Quality Care
- Cost Effective Care
- A Unique Approach to Healthcare
- Care That Meets High Patient Satisfaction Scores
What do Nurse Practitioners Do?
- Obtain medical histories and perform physical examinations
- Diagnose and treat acute health problems such as infections and injuries
- Diagnose, treat, and monitor chronic diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure
- Order, perform, and interpret diagnostic studies such as lab work and x-rays
- Prescribe medications and other treatments
- Provide prenatal and family planning services
- Provide well-child care including screening and immunizations
- Provide health maintenance care for adults including annual physicals
- Promote positive health behavior and self-care skills through education and counseling
- Collaborate with physicians and other health professionals as needed
What are some Nurse Practitioner Specialty Areas?
- Acute Care
- Adult Care
- Emergency Care
- Family Practice
- Gerontology/ Elder Health
- Neonatal/ Perinatal Care
- Occupational Health
- Pediatric/ Child Health
- School/ College Health
- Women’s Health
- Obstetrics/ Midwifery
Where do Nurse Practitioners Work?
- Community Health Centers
- Public Health Departments
- Hospitals and Hospital Clinics
- School and College Health Clinics
- Industry Employee Health Departments
- Physician Offices
- Nurse Practitioner Offices